Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Back To Work Day Two...



So. Added 104 words to Chapter One and am now determined to leave it the heck alone. Chapter Two added to the wordcount now and it's gonna need a little more work as it's one of the chapters my lovely Editor felt needed a few changes. It all comes down to a personality flaw I seem to have when it comes to my heroes. I did the same thing in the first version of One Night With The Rebel Billionaire. When the hero comes across all strong and Alpha-like, Trish apparently feels a subliminal need to soften him and justify his actions to the reader.

Must. Stop. Doing. That.

So originally, although Blake was inheriting squillions of dollars, I made him a secret millionaire to boot. It was very James Bond in places if I'm honest. My editor felt if he were less perfect, more flawed and human, he’d be a far stronger and more compelling Alpha hero. She's so on the money. But then she always is. Reading back over what I had, I can see where he's so much sexier when he's simply being who and what he is; a working guy who doesn't give a damn about the money left to him by someone he hated and who never wanted anything to do with him - the kind of guy who doesn't follow rules - who takes what he wants when he wants and doesn't answer to anyone but himself. The trick is not to try and justify that, but to make it understandable. Oooh... that's quite good... I might have to put that on a post it note and pin it to my board...

Onwards and upwards. If I can get Chapter Two sorted out then the real work will start in Chapter Three; which pretty much needs torn apart and put back together if I remember correctly. Especially since I'm pretty sure it's the chapter where I tossed in a younger half-sister for the hero to talk to so the reader could see what a great guy he was. That girl is g-o-n-e.

Meanwhile, here are a few pics of my brand new office, *almost* finished, for anyone who didn't catch them on Twitter yesterday. Ignore the junk on the bookshelf to the bottom right of the first picture (did I mention the office and my hall are filled with bathroom junk because I'm redecorating?) And yes, I do have a blind for that window. I just haven't put it up yet. Not sure I like it to be completely honest. And - not that you can see it - but outside of those windows are all my wild bird feeders. So, it's kinda like having a window into a large aviary. Distracting at times, but very calming. And sometimes amusing. Since we got MORE snow last night and have more on the way the poor babies need all the help they can get. We have WEEKS more of it ahead of us apparently. Oh joy.

16 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing the journey with us!

Janet said...

What a lovely room. And so tidy! Do you like having a place for everything or are you secretly happier amongst clutter?

Nicola Marsh said...

Oh wow, what a gorgeous office! And so big!

I work in a shoebox.
A very messy shoebox.
And I don't like mess! But don't have the time to clean it up...sigh...

Your bookshelves put mine to shame.

I think you've inspired me!

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks for being here with me Jill! Can't tell you how glad I am of the company!!!

Trish Wylie said...

Janet... erm... now how to answer this? I have a bit of a split personality. It's why I'm so madly in love with New York and the middle-of-nowheresville in Ireland. It's also why I'm anal about things like colour coding and the heights of things and everything having a place so I can find it in a split second when my life gets chaotic, yet at the same time spend a good portion of my time living in that chaos. I always kid friends and family know when my writing is going well by the state of my home. Tidy and the writing is going badly, messy and the wordcount is a lot higher ;)

Having said that I don't like too much clutter in my workspace. It's too distracting when I'm hovering on the edge of procrastination. Mind you... I did vacuum for the photo ;) It's why there isn't a dog and a cat on the cushion below the taller bookcase. They usually share. Half each. Which means the cat wins when it comes to space...

Trish Wylie said...

Well Nic... it's not a bad amount of space for an office, but it made for a pretty 'compact' spare room before that. And ended up filled to the rafters with junk more often than not. I had a big clear out last year and followed the six month rule: Hadn't looked for it or needed it in six months then out it went!

As to the bookshelves, that's a combination of my 'heights' obsession and the need to have all my own books in categories or countries so it's easier to register them for things like PLR and ACLS. When I get parcels of books I can check to see if it's on the shelf with a glance, and if it's not then one copy goes where it should be and the rest go into plastic boxes in my shed with those little glycerine thingies you get in new shoes and handbags until I have a box full to donate to libraries who have foreign readers in their local community. I never need more than one copy of foreign language editions and the USA copies get used for competitions and any talks/conferences/workshops I do.

Hey. Maybe I'm more organized than I thought!

Lacey Devlin said...

Oh wow I want to steal your office too! It's gorgeous!

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Great office honey.

Now for your alpha, he must be arrogant, proud, sexy, ruthless and then in the end get a wake up call!

Your alphas are always fab.

Sally Clements said...

Bookshelf envy! Your office looks fab. Mine is an untidy mess. Hmmm... must tidy it.

Caroline Storer said...

Ohhh I love your office. It looks so cosy just right for writing! Take care. Caroline x

Joanne Cleary said...

Office envy! Oh yes, that's because I don't have one :-)

I work in a corner of my conservatory. Which at the moment is pretty drafty because my silly dog likes to stand behind me at the back door sticking his head out of the dog flap. Why can't he take himself out ... or stay in?!

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Lacey! I'm pretty certain stealing it would involve a truck. And since we're still surrounded by lots of the cold, white stuff...

I waited a long time for my wee office and put a lot of thought into it. I'm so glad everyone likes it! Now if I can just come up with a solution for my bad leg swelling up when I spend too much time at my desk and if I can finish a darn book, life will be pretty sweet office wise.

The removal of the bathroom junk would help too...

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Marilyn honey and THANK YOU!

Am SO putting that on another post it note. As you can see from the notice board on the left I collect all these gems and save them ;)

Trish Wylie said...

LOL Sally! Have I inspired you to sort by book height, series and topic? Yes. I'm *that* anal. (DVD shelves are next!)

Trish Wylie said...

It IS cosy Caroline! Just as well at the minute I tell ya. And right this second I have a lavender and white lily candle burning to add to the mood as I write. I'm a candle-a-holic.

Trish Wylie said...

Ahhhh Joanne... where we would we be without our little furry friends and their foibles? Daisy cat likes to be let out by standing on her hind legs and pawing at the window or door until someone takes the hint. Her favorite pass time is the let-me-out-bring-me-in-five-minutes-later game. Now in cold weather, I can give her a pass on that the first three or four times in a row. But mid-summer?! I SO need a cat flap!