Monday, January 4, 2010

Back To Work...


There's a part of me that really wishes I was starting a brand shiny new book, but since that's not the case, here we are. I've added the wordcount for the first chapter because I know the first chapter is fine. I know this because in the last year I have edited it... oh, I dunno... about a gazillion times? Having said that, I'll re-read it just to be sure and to get me back into the story since I haven't looked at this book in MONTHS. And since I've kinda re-titled it, re-cast and know I have to tear it apart... Lots...

So, starting at the cover page and running on the theory I can't take any chances and there may have been a negative vibe from the last title because it had the word 'reluctant' in it, I now dub this WIP "Irresistible". Much better I think, don't you? Particularly for a Modern Heat.

Livvie now looks much more like Charlize Theron. I wanted someone who could look like she was ultra-efficient work-wise, fun and playful with her friends and sexy as get out with my hero, and thanks to Ms. Theron, I now have pics for all of those moods in case I need visual inspiration. She's someone I haven't 'cast' before, so it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) comes my way. Though, to be completely honest, it wasn't my heroine who was causing me problems last time. Now that I've narrowed that down for you, do you wanna take a guess who was giving me problems?

While Christian Bale may be the very lovely Ally Blake's everlasting muse, as a hero he was as much help to me as Hugh Jackman was when I was writing The Return Of The Rebel. I switched heroes that time and ended up with a hero who practically wrote himself. Here's hoping the gorgeous Michael Trucco can do the same thing for me with Blake! I bought the entire Battlestar Galactica series on DVD a while back, watched it from beginning to end with my family - and I officially love this guy. I'm even tempted to rename my hero Sam, but we'll see how we go, shall we? Baby steps and all that.

SO. Here's how it's gonna go. Since my last post some of the loveliest, most supportive Blog readers and bestest friends in the whole wide world have left messages for me that cheered me up no end! Some of them are starting back to work today too. So, if you are, let me know and keep me posted on how you're getting on. If you have a Blog leave me a link and I'll add it to a list at the end of each day's post so folks can check in on you (if you like). I think the ever lovely and patient Janet is organizing a thread in the Members Forum (link in the sidebar) for those without a Blog and for anyone who wants to brainstorm along the way. I'll send regular updates via Twitter (again, link in the sidebar) during the day to keep you posted (and so you can nudge me if I go AWOL and cyber-hug me if I crumble again) and let's see if we can't kick 2010 off to the right kind of start!

Okay... HERE GOES...

(Should I be this nervous?!)

P.S. Office pics later when I vacuum.

18 comments:

Sri Pammi said...

Hi trish,

Just wanted to say have missed you and your blog and hope 2010 brings everything you want.

Sri.

Janet said...

If anyone wants to post their daily writing progress on Trish's message forum (either for a new story or an old one they need to finish) I've started a thread in the Soon To Be Published section called Happy New Writing Year.

If your progress is zilch and you want to brainstorm, post details in the same thread and maybe someone will jump in and steer you towards a solution.

Melissa Blue said...

Well my computer got hit with a virus. Bad. And the only thing I could do was restore my computer to the day I bought it. Since this has happened to me before I saved the things I could not live without both on another computer and a flash drive.

So this year truly means starting over.

All that said I'm going to start on a new WIP. It involves a museum curator and a stingy art collector. I'll redo all the front work I'd started on last year and by the end of this week I want the first chapter.

Because working on one thing is never good enough, I shall also put the finishing touches on two stories that I've been editing. I need to get them out the door though I'm hesitant. It's always scary to submit to books. And I always take forever because it is scary.

Ok. I'm done now since I'm rambling.

Sally Clements said...

I'd like to be starting anew book, but I can't. I've had a request for revisions to a completed one from an interested editor, and so I have to do something new for me, make revisions and make em good! I'm nervous about it but in a determined way, its a new challenge, and one I'm gripping onto with both hands and really going for. (gulp!) Love your hero Trish, so yummy....

Donna Alward said...

I'm starting today! But my sister called and my niece is coming to vaccinate new furbaby (we have a kitty now!) and so I'm still stuck on character sheets!

Love the story though.

And Sam. Oh Sam. Oh to be Kara in the Sam/Lee sandwich....

Trish Wylie said...

It's good to BE back Pammi! Missed you guys too. And I hope 2010 brings the same things your way, my friend.

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks Janet! The more the merrier. How's the outlining coming along?

Trish Wylie said...

Ick on the computer woes Melissa! I know what it can be like. My laptop - although feeling somewhat abandoned - is glad of the break now I've gotten a computer for the office. I was burning up a laptop per year thanks to overuse. Add warm weather on any of my trips and the poor things didn't stand a bat's chance of surviving!

But YAY on the new book! Keep us posted, won't you? I'll be glad of the company this next while...

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Sally! And DON'T APOLOGISE! A request is GREAT and takes priority over everything else. Absolutely it does. Let us know how you get on with that, won't you? Is it a finished MS you're revising or are you editing/polishing?

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Donna sweetheart! You're officially a writer when you have a cat, I feel. Long overdue if you ask me! ;) Loving the story is half the battle, isn't it? I'm hoping to remember that feeling this year...

Ally Blake said...

Aah Trish, see now that's what happens when you attempt to nick another girl's muse!

Though when I used your Nathan Fillion I had no such problem ;).

So this Michael Trucco guy, he looks pretty irresistible... ;)

Happy writing today my sweet! And remember your writing is fabulous, funny and sexy as can be so just trust it and let yourself goooooo!!!

Sally Clements said...

Its a finished manuscript which has been read (twice!) by Wild Rose. They came back to me with suggestions and wished me luck, and I thought they were washing their hands of me and thanked them politely. I then had a revalation a month later (after nano) and thought, 'why would they make suggestions on how to make it better if they didn't want to see it?' and emailed the editor again to seek clarification. Nerves... She emailed straight back and said she would be willing to read it again (for the 3rd time) so I'm really nervous about making it perfect this time, and not screwing up. Freak! Angst! Panic! where's the chocolate! Anyway, I'm going to do it (sets chin at determined angle). I also have a big New York agent reading the full of another book, but she's not got back to me yet, so I'm fretting about that too. Bleagh! Writing is about so much more than writing!

Lacey Devlin said...

Happy New Year Trish! I hope 2010 is a great one for you :D

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks for that, Ally. Your muse is obviously more faithful to you than Nathan was to me! I see Nic has now stolen my Gabe inspiration too. Gotta watch you sneaky Aussies!!!

As to the fabulous, funny and sexy part... that feels very Once Upon A Time at this point...

Trish Wylie said...

WOW Sally!!! That is SO AWESOME! I have a feeling this could be your year my friend. Now GO GET IT DONE!!!

Trish Wylie said...

Happy New Year to you too Lacey! May it bring lovely things your way :)

Sally Clements said...

Thanks for the encouragement Trish! Am on it!

Trish Wylie said...

Good girl Sally!