Thursday, January 5, 2012

Starting The New Year With A Little Reflection (and a pretty picture)

Like always as we bid goodbye to another year, I find myself looking back on the past and hoping for good things in the future.

Last year my biggest hope was to be able to write again. Simply finishing a book felt like a huge hurdle so I took it chapter by chapter and after a long uphill battle eventually achieved my goal. I still had to reach out to my new editor, discover what had happened in the lines during my absence and make all the necessary adjustments to the manuscript but eventually-thankfully-I got there and sold my twentieth book. In many ways I felt like a new author again; quite possibly because I'm not the same person I was back in 2002 when I sold my first book. But that's life, isn't it? The things we experience form who we are. Personally I have to hope the changes will be for the better in the long run. If nothing else I guess I can say I'm stronger than I thought I was, even if there were days when it was difficult to get out of bed.

As a shiny new year begins I'm thankful for everything the past year brought me. I finished and sold two books and though that may not seem like much compared to previous years it was giant leap in the right direction. I even rediscovered the joy of writing with the latter and man had I missed that feeling! But more than that I was reminded how lucky I am to be part of such a great group of friends both old and new who cheered me on and offered words of encouragement when I needed them most. Family means a great deal to me, which is a big part of the reason why the last eighteen months spent watching my close family go through some trying times has been so difficult. But if there is one thing I've learnt along the way (and I'd like to point out I knew it before the Queen mentioned it in her speech) it's that family doesn't necessarily mean blood relatives. My family consists of more than my lovely sister and the amazing nieces and nephews I've watched grow and take their first steps into the world as young adults. Now it has members both at home and further afield, including some people I may never have met face-to-face but hope to, one day.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say a heartfelt thank you to you all for being there. You helped me through some very dark days and though a Tweet, Blog/Facebook comment or text message may not seem like much, each and every one meant more than I can say without getting emotional and giving you a hug. Suffice to say, I hope the new year brings lots of wonderful things your way!

For myself, I hope 2012 continues to allow me to rebuild my life. Things are gradually returning to a more even keel and I'm feeling more optimistic than I did a year ago. Work-wise I'm contracted for two new books; the first of which I'm working on now and will tell you more about in the coming weeks. In the meantime there are re-releases of His Mistress, His Terms and Her One And Only Valentine in compilations in February, The Inconvenient Laws Of Attraction is scheduled for the U.S. And Canada in March and New York's Finest Rebel is out in the U.K. and Ireland in April. Not a bad start to the year, huh? Especially when we take into consideration this time last year there was nothing visible on the release horizon.

Why the gorgeous guy pic you ask? Well, not that we need a reason for one, but I thought I'd give you a little glimpse of my new hero. In my little world this is Tyler Brannigan and if all goes according to plan I'll come back and tell you a little more about both him and the woman who is currently making his life difficult. Next week however, I'll be living up to the promise to tell you more about his younger brother Danny and the fabulous Jo from New York's Finest Rebel. Have I mentioned yet how much fun I had with that story?!

If I haven't said it to you already on Twitter or Facebook, HAPPY NEW YEAR gang!!!

8 comments:

sri said...

Happy New Year to you too, Trish...

Sri

Maria from 'gaelikaa's diary' said...

Congrats Trish! Hope to see those new releases out in India soon too!

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks guys-I love the beginning of a new year (its like a new pair of shoes before you wear them and get them scuffed) and fingers crossed Maria! There's supposed to be a new way for me to look up foreign releases but I haven't explored it yet. Soon as this story is away I shall endeavor to bite the bullet and wrap my head around the way to access it. If I don't feel free to cyber-slap me!

Lacey Devlin said...

Happy New Year, Trish! I hope you and your family have a fantastic 2012!

Trish Wylie said...

Happy New Year Lacey and fingers crossed again! It's a balance/karma thing after all isn't it? So by that reckoning I'm hopeful 2012 is the year for some great things to happen. :)

Caroline said...

Happy New Year Trish. Here's to 2012. Caroline x

Brazilian Woman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trish Wylie said...

Am raising a glass with you Caroline. Technically its a mug of coffee, but you get what I mean ;)